View Single Post
Old 14th October 2014, 12:44 AM
Cult Addict

Hope i didn't offend frankie.
Anyway. Just watched 'John dies at the end' and have to admit i've had a few beers tonight so anyone with any sense can ignore my thoughts.
I really enjoyed the film, anyone else sense that Don Coscarelli is some kind of insane genius?. The film may not make a lot of sense but it's obviously a cult item that is entertaining and bears repeated viewings.

Like Phantasm,Beastmaster and Bubba ho tep he seems to just throw weird strands together and make a entertaining movie,you can almost hear his thought process- Bizarre jawa like dwarfs,psychic animals, Elvis, bugs, re-animated corpses, other dimensions etc.

I'm not saying the film works all the way through, but i really enjoyed the intro, the main character was likeable enough and i spent most of the running time thinking what the f**K.
Not predictable at all and a refreshing alternative to the by the numbers films that are everywhere these days,for that i commend it.
It also at points seemed William burroughs/Gonzo lite with it's drug fuelled bug insanity, but whatever i enjoyed it and think anyone with a love of 80's creature feature mutant madness and drug induced celluloid insanity should give it a go.
But then i have had a few beers.
8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 14th October 2014 at 01:19 AM.