View Single Post
Old 27th October 2014, 01:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

More Napoleon outfit dodging viewing...

The Scarlet Claw (1944) – Fun Sherlock Holmes romp with Basil Rathbone. This is an enjoyable mystery thriller which engaged me right up to its conclusion. Recommended.

Under the Skin (2013) – A film where I’d convinced myself going in that I’d end up liking it more than I actually did. A minimalistically stylish experience which plays to my love of the strangely under-stated, yet mixed feelings congeal together as that familiar pang of connectivity is coupled with a slightly stale after taste, all the while leaving your mind wandering in a chasm like void. A generous 7 out of 10.

Confessions (2010) – Hits you like a juggernaut to the gut on several occasions, this revenge filled tale of a teacher, her class, and her murdered daughter is equal parts harrowing, equal parts disparately beautiful. My best ‘blind viewing’ of the year thus far.

The Long Goodbye (1973) – Superb (if at times comfortably bizarre) neo-noir. Elliott Gould is fantastic in this.

Bunny Lake is Missing (1965) – Mysterious and warped psycho-thriller which hit all the right buttons for me. Carol Lynley and Keir Dullea’s on screen chemistry along with Laurence Olivier’s turn as the superintendent really helps to boost the overall experience too.

The House of Fear (1945) – Another Rathbone Holmes film, and whilst this wasn’t quite as good as ‘Claw’, there was a lot of enjoyment to be had here.

The Unholy (1988) – Dem survives a potential pitchforking thanks to another enjoyable recommendation. Whilst the film takes a bit of time to get into the right gear and threatens to stall a few times, the ending more than makes up for it with it barmy effects and awesome creature design.

Bedlam (1946) – A really enjoyable Val Lewton production starring Boris Karloff, which up until now I had unfortunately never seen. Again thanks to Dem, I have plugged another hole in my cinematic jigsaw, and have all but put the pitchfork away.

Here Comes the Devil (2012) – A tour de force of unease and weirdness, Here Comes the Devil is the satanic take on Picnic at Hanging Rock. Mixed reviews seem to abound for this but I loved it and can’t wait to watch it again.

Graduation Day (1981) – Mid-tier slasher that would make a great double feature with Fatal Games. Whilst it wouldn’t win any prizes for originality, I enjoyed revisiting this entertaining ‘80s slasher and the Blu from 88 Films looked great.