View Single Post
Old 16th November 2014, 06:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DARK TOURIST - An isolated security guard goes sightseeing around murder hotspots and finds he empathises more with a (deceased) local serial killer than the lonely waitress he befriends. I was well impressed with 'Dark Tourist', a grim thriller which really does take its viewer on a pretty unpleasant ride. In fact, it's almost unremittingly bleak in tone - there's absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel ahead, no redemptive moments (apart from maybe one in disguise), and this, coupled with the film's seriousness and insistence on making its unlikeable protagonist so inescapable (we wallow in his presence in virtually every frame), is quite laudable at a time when even supposedly hard edged stuff comes slightly sugar coated. Maybe it's not as cruel or depressing as something like 'I Stand Alone', but I was reminded of the latter, a little - perhaps the fact that 'Dark Tourist' still has one foot in genre and associated stylisation makes it a little more digestible. It probably has more in common with the ashen faced likes of 'Snowtown', if only in terms of emotional impact. I was surprised to find that 'Dark Tourist' seemingly comes from a journeyman director whose resume includes 'The Bill' and 'Casualty'. Something this harrowing usually demands personal investment and artistic vision... maybe it's the one he was always trying to make. Or maybe not. A lot hinges on the lead's performance, which is intense and superb and is backed up by a generally creditable cast which surprisingly includes one of my faves, Melanie Griffith. Whatever, 'Dark Tourist' is a bracing glimpse into a cold, cold world and is certainly recommended viewing, but not if you're up for something light. Thanks to MTDS and his review for switching me on to it.