View Single Post
Old 27th November 2014, 11:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

In the mood f' some fine fantasy last night and all I could find in one of my "unwatched" boxes was "Snow White and the Huntsman" (2012). I must say that I was very impressed, an actual effort had been made to give a new spin to an old, old tale without making it into a pantomime. Charlize Theron played a really great "evil stepmom" and avoided being seen as an "evil stepmom." I could almost have empathised with her character and see her side of the story as the "right and proper path!"

Kristen Stewart was almost overlooked as she played Snow White so pathetically and passively. Then she met the White Hart and was transformed into a force of nature, proactive and arousing!

Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman was, as his characterisation of Thor is, strong and wily. He has almost got the "jock" role sewn up for keeps.

Of course, you can't have Snow White without seven persons of restricted growth now can you? The mini documentary in the one of two available extras on the disc went into the creation of the Dwarves, and a very likeable documentary it was! My only gripe about the whole film is that the dwarves were almost used as a gimmick and glossed over when so much attention had been paid to their creation. This is only a minor gripe and was probably the result of post-production cuts.

All in all a fun way to spend a couple of hours that I thought would have been more of a drag! A creditable 16/10 for a novel take of a classic story.

WOW! Where did all that come from?

Monster Magnet