Old 28th November 2014, 08:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Interstellar.

Great popcorn movie that falls somewhere short of classic status. Perhaps my second favourite sci-fi this year behind Guardians of the Galaxy. A controversial opinion perhaps but it lost me the minute it started talking about love as a measurable, quantifiable force that decades of physics were silly to miss because their not spiritual enough... bollocks.
It's got one of the best scores this year, looks phenomenal, is perhaps a little too long winded and up its own rectum to be enjoyable. Certainly not as good as Inception, Memento, Dark knight or the Prestige.
I salute its tribute to the pioneers of space flight and the need for humans to go into space (read Warren Ellis Orbiter which has some themes nicked in this film) I Think I preferred GOG because it made me want to go right out and watch it again, (rare for a popcorn flick to even impress Kermode! ) again not a bad film, just not a classic.
I saw Interstellar a couple of weeks ago and was engrossed from first minute to last, with my brain occasionally playing catch up and trying to figure out what was actually taken place. That's not a bad thing because I sometimes like to be challenged by films, made to think, ponder the bigger picture and exercise the grey matter.

I agree about the score and cinematography, which are both brilliant, but I had no problem with the length as it never felt long – always the sign of a good film. Guardians of the Galaxy is certainly a great deal more fun, and I think I'll need to see Interstellar a couple more times to make a proper judgement on where it stands amongst Christopher Nolan's other films but, at the moment, it is one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year and the only one which has made me cry! (It's the first since WALL-E to have that effect on me as well.)

Both Guardians of the Galaxy and Interstellar will be in my collection at some point, but I've spent so much on Criterion Collection BDs at Barnes and Noble and recently in the Black Friday sales that the former will have to wait, probably until January.