View Single Post
Old 1st December 2014, 03:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It is a little fluffy, with everything about it almost being done with a light air, (despite the often serious subject matter at play) and Robert Redford's 'loveable rogue' character plays into this theme too.

I'm beginning to understand why you're not a fan though, it having robbed The Exorcist of the golden statue that year

Although, that said, the Academy rarely acknowledges horror cinema at all, and to be honest I don't really acknowledge the Academy or their decisions so I guess that makes us even!
I wouldn't mind if the film which won the Best Picture Oscar that year was a worthy winner and a great film, but The Sting isn't. In The Friedkin Connection, William Friedkin writes about the buildup to the awards:

"The Hollywood old-timers were looking for ways to deny The Exorcist too much acclaim. This is not sour grapes. My friend Jack Haley Jr. produced the Oscar show that year. He told me that it was being said among influential members of the community that "if The Exorcist wins the Best Picture Award, it will change the industry for the worse, forever.""

He goes on to say that the veteran director George Cukor was apparently leading the movement and was hosting a luncheon at his home in Beverly Hills. When he met Friedkin, "he took me aside. "You know, those rumours about me knocking your film are bullshit. I think it's a great picture." I thanked him and told him I hadn't heard the rumours. It was curious that he denied it so vehemently without my having mentioned it.""