View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2014, 07:11 PM
Active Cultist

Another low budget horror title for me. I'm watching nothing but DTV nonsense during December, lots more reviews to come!

The Lodge is about a young couple who holiday in a remote cabin. They arrive to discover that there is a "caretaker" there who seems a little odd, then after 30 minutes of nothing much going on, things start to get creepy during the night - doors locked that were open earlier, alarms going off in distant rooms, creepy faces at the window - the film starts to pick up and has potential to be a good haunted house film.

Then it decides to go all psycho horror on us as the caretaker turns out to be a nutcase and kidnaps the girl, leading to the usual fight to save her. Unfortunately the film doesn't do the proper exploitation thing and give us the gory details of what is going on and so we get an implied rape and torture while we have to watch the boring boyfriend trying to rescue her, so it is nothing but chasing, screaming and hiding. Rather like watching a heavily cut rape and revenge film I guess.

Direction is not quite as good as 'Fields of the Dead', the directors seem determined to shoot the film at hip height for no particular reason and lots of it is either blurry or blue-night-filtered.

More review, pics and DVD specs - The Lodge review