View Single Post
Old 8th December 2014, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict

Nekromantik.

In spite of reservations about how much this warranted a HD release, Jorge Buttergeit's seminal 80's trash masterpiece actually benefits quite a lot from the HD presentation that preserves the grimy DIY quality that makes the film so appealing with the added bonus of being able to tell what's going on and without the somewhat annoying 'softness' of the DVD.

As still as near to the knuckle as when it was 'released' Nekromantik is still as compelling and unsettling as it's first viewing. Not as 'nasty' as one might think, there is a scene of animal death that will upset some but in fairness was caught on camera and not staged.

It's a film that's very rough around the edges, qualities I also found endearing in Combat shock and Street Trash without the desperate need to shock of Serbian film or the August underground films.

Nekromantik is a film that needs to be seen. I cannot guarantee any 'enjoyment' of what is a very uncomfortable slice of viewing but I would certainly urge anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a go.