View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

SEE NO EVIL 2. I've not seen the first one but if the flash backs in this squeal are anything to go by it looks like a well calculated attempt to ape the childhood abuse themes beloved of 70s and 80s psycho killer films. As it is these are the best scenes in the squeal that limps along like the three legged dog it surely is. Plot wise, the killer from the first film wakes up in the morgue in the middle of a party and kills people. The one stand out scene involves a little necro lust and seems completely out of place with the rest of the film. I confess my mind wondered during my viewing of the film with my main thought being sexual and involving lead actress Danielle Harris and her petiteness, and would it be physically possible to hold her body in one hand and er, pleasure yourself.

JOHNNY BE GOOD. Weird mix of teen comedy, satire on the American college and football scholarship programme and a little soul searching thrown in for good measure. Made in 1988 it features a very young Uma Thurman and Robert Downey Jnr playing his then typical comedy side kick.

SABOTAGE. Big Arnie looking like a tree weathered by a coastal breeze, is the head of a DEA unit who seem like soldiers escaped from some cheap 'Nam film or possibly an equally cheap ALIENS knock off. Anyhow, they get in loads of shit and shoot people. I was really disappointed with this as director David Ayers previous film END OF WATCH, completely captured me from beginning to end. This still has lots going for it but just didn't do it for me.

THE BELIEVERS. Martin Sheen stars in this 80s Yuppie black magic hokum as possibly the worlds worse father and psychologist...nine months after his son witnesses his mother's death, Martin is shacking up with a neighbour, dressing his son in pink hot pants and can't see why the boy is a little upset.
The films main plot involving Santeria is typical Hollywood xenophobia whereby all non whites with different beliefs are "other" and murderous scum to boot, which is a shame as Santeria is a rather fine religion which the film wilfully chooses not to explain.