View Single Post
Old 14th January 2015, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict

May

may.jpeg

Someone mentioned this was on netflix yesterday, so i put it straight on last night,as i've been meaning to watch this since it first came out on dvd years ago.
I really enjoyed it.
Basically it's about social misfit May who lives on her own except for a creepy looking doll who she says is her best friend, it was given to her by her mother years ago. She seems to hear the doll talk to her.
May works in a vets, stitching up animals that have been operated on,in her spare time she likes to create clothes for herself.
One day she meets a bloke and becomes obsessed with him, they start an on off relationship, he likes her weirdness until it becomes a bit too weird.
The problem is she's always been on her own and is incredibly shy and finds it difficult to judge how to act in social situations.
Theres also a bit of a lesbian sub-relationship involving a workmate.
When these relationships fall apart, so does her sanity and she decides to create her own friend and put her love of sewing to good use.
I thought this film was well acted and well shot, it's quirky,thoughtful and entertaining, not particularly gory but it has a few moments. More a character piece and i felt the main actress acted really well and i felt quite sympathetic towards her.
Theres a pretty good soundtrack as well i thought.

Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.