View Single Post
Old 14th January 2015, 11:32 PM
Cult Addict

Scanners 2- the new order

scan2.jpg

Scanners was on tv the other day while i was trying to decide what to watch, remembering i'd picked up the boxset i thought i'd give the immediate sequels a go.
I put them on not expecting much, i thought they would be awful and yes they are kind of an insult to the original but i ended up really enjoying them.
Scanners 2 takes the premise that the scanners are still spread out in society and it doesn't take long before some dodgy geezer in search of power and his medicine men are trying to use them for their own ends.
Trouble is they are unpredictable, experimenting on them they've created a drug that subdues the scanners but turns them into helpless addicts wasting away only wanting the next fix.
Like the first film we have a good scanner who is just trying to use his powers for good and a bad scanner who just wants to cause chaos and explode a few heads.
I enjoyed this one, the bad scanner is atrociously acted and over the top (very similar in acting styles to Bob from Twin peaks), the good guy tries his best and is quite sympathetic, the script is a bit all over the place but it has some action and exploding heads, so did the job.
If you want a decent sequel that lives up to the first film you will be disappointed, but if you want direct to video, cheesy but entertaining dodgyness you could do a lot worse.

7/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.