View Single Post
Old 28th January 2015, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chill (2007, Serge Rodnunsky)
Die Monster Die! (Daniel Heller, 1969)

Whilst both are "based" on HPL stories, I tried to ignore that and enjoy them under their own right. Sadly. I. Just. Couldn't. Easier with Chill, as tis a real stinker on many levels. James Russo seems to be in another film, the villian resembled a chubby Dave Vanian , which counterbalanced the non chubby Ashley Laurence (who I didn't recognise for 20 minutes cough!!) and the denoument just made it up as it went along (and nae in that Franco way either!!) Ahem. 0/10.

DMD I had tried to watch years back, but remembered having a violent reaction at the time to it. Not as bad this time, and as it resembles the origin story in the same way as Heller's Dunwich Horror i.e. two lines of dialogue reference the origin story etc, I tried to enjoy it on it's own merit. But it's so silly!!! Set in England for a start. Karloff looks really knackered. The "leads" are as wooden as The Golem, but not as animated. Some nice set design, which sadly reeks of Poe (re-used sets?? tis Corman after all...), is about all this film has to offer imho. 1/10.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]