View Single Post
Old 10th March 2015, 09:08 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Nightbreed - the directors cut

Attachment 158933

Ok this is just gonna be about internal feeling about this film.
I like the original version up to a point.(quite alot actually)
I think this version improves greatly upon the original compromised film, a lot of stuff seems expanded upon.
Even though i only watched the dvd version this seems a step up in quality from the old Warner bros archive version.
I haven't watched the original version for a while but this retains all the good stuff and takes away some of the things that used to annoy me about certain characters.

I originally read the novel, and also own the Nightbreed chronicles book that focused on the creature make up.
This new version seems to tone down some silly parts of the original and it seems more focused in general, apparently if you look at the new running time there seems to be 20 minutes added. But that's not all, quite a bit has been removed so there is actually more re-instated than originally appears.

Overall i really thought this version improved greatly upon the original, also it's quite amazing that this re-instated footage is of such great quality that it blends seamlessly with the original. ( this also makes it harder to separate all the new stuff)
The only thing i can say in derision of the new cut is it still doesn't seem to focus on the 'monsters' that much, considering Barker always said he wanted to focus on the monsters as good guys, there is not that much screen time getting to know the creatures.
True the bad guys are all human, but i still think there should be more time spent getting to know the 'tribes of the moon', the porcupine woman is my favourite but we don't actually find out much about her character.
Another thing is that i do kinda like the original ending, Becker returns, and to be honest he is the main villain of the piece so this ending makes sense. The religious guy is interesting but is not as impressive in my opinion.
Probably my favourite part of the entire film is David Cronenberg's character, the first killing of the family is a stand out moment and truly chilling, and as a psychoanalyst it really suits his director character (very thoughtful and insightful, analytical and clinical but with a lust for sex and death ).
To sum up my gibber jabber i liked the original anyway, but thought this was a vast improvement.
Recommended 9/10

Obviously only having access to the R1 dvd sort of compromises my review, but at a fraction of the price of the special Knobs on edition this is still totally worthy of the money in my opinion. My copy was £14 and well worth it.
What is the difference between this and the more expensive 3 disc version?