View Single Post
Old 24th March 2015, 12:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

I really hope The Ward isn't Carpenter's 'swan song' (however as the years go by it's looking increasingly more likely). I can't see it becoming the 'cult oddity that Ghosts of Mars has/is becoming myself though, mainly because GoM just feels more like a Carpenter film, in as much it is Assault on Precinct 13 on acid and has that unmistakable Carpenter magic within. Others may well disagree, and I may be wrong, but The Ward doesn't feel like a Carpenter film in as much as it is just so generic... a 'one watch' curio for those wanting to complete Carpenter's filmography.
Unfortunately the ending did make it feel like a one watch curio. However i did enjoy it up to that point and i didn't think the acting was bad at all.

I totally agree it didn't really feel like a Carpenter film apart from some of those deliberate slow tracking shots.

In a related note i watched Pro-Life (2006). The second of Carpenters contributions to the largely excellent Masters of Horror series.

Much like The Ward, this really didn't feel like a Carpenter film. Very generic in it's plotting, but featuring a fine earth demon, or a guy in a rubber suit as we Doctor Who fans like to call them.

Ron Perlman is always watchable and he carries the film, but it offers no surprises and whilst worth a watch is nothing special.

Carpenters first effort, Cigarette Burns, is far superior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pro-Life(MastersofHorror).jpg (36.2 KB, 0 views)