View Single Post
Old 28th March 2015, 10:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I spent last weekend at Fantasy Film Nights in Hamburg (this is the smaller sister event to the summers Fantasy Film Fest) which gave me the opportunity to see:

Cub - which despite a well signposted ending is a quite effective old school horror with some of the best traps since John Wayne was in the jungle. this one has been announced as part of Dead by Dawn next month.

German Angst - a Portmanteau film in which three German directors explore what it means to be German. it is stark, brutal uncompromising with castration, fascist race hate and bizarre sex. brilliant.

Wyrmwood - Australian apocalypse comedy horror which did little for me at Fright Fest Glasgow and even less in hamburg. it seems to be a festival favourite however, it will be shown at Imagine in a couple of weeks.

Tusk - Kevin Smith finally managed to disappoint me with this bizarre tale. I already have it on blu so perhaps I will give it another chance soon.

Spring - a very strange, but interesting, love story. this one played last years Fright Fest so I guess many of you will have seen it already.

The Guest - finally got to see this and although it lost me at the end with its military conspiracy cop out ending I thought it was great. Really liked the soundtrack which I have been listening to all week.

The Lazarus effect - mainstream horror which explores what it would mean to be brought back from the dead. Flatliners did this much better 20 odd years ago.

A girl walks home alone at night - Iranian genre mashup which reminded me a lot of Jarmusch and Kaurismaki. my pick of the festival.

Automata - the first of a number of films this year to explore artificial intelligence. it's interesting but rehashes too much from better films to really connect. average

Marshland - Spanish thriller which is full of quiet moments and beautifully shot. it cleaned up at the Goya's last year and deservedly so. essential viewing.

imagine in Amsterdam next in a fortnight..