View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 09:50 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani View Post
Maybe I'll comment more on this topic when the disc arrives, if anyone's interested that is.
I for one certainly am.

I read about the ordeal that CO went through restoring this one the other day.

Additional info for those interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskiVideo via Blu-ray.com
This was posted today at Dirty Pictures by "the other-guy" (the tech-guy, i suppose) from Camera Obscura after a user said the screencaps they provived for the transfer of Malastrana looked very soft, washed-out and unnatural (read about it here: https://www.facebook.com/CameraObscu...36392496396332 ). Like the pictures was scrubbed and artifical grain was insterted afterwards. Thats what CO said:

Re: MALASTRANA - Aldo Lado (IGCC Nr. 18) : Camera Obscura Filmdistribution - Seite 4

This is a manually-corrected auto-translation, hope you can follow:

Quote:
Our approach for all our transfers is always this: raw scan from a Lab we trust in Italy, colortimed, no "hard" color correction. Scan is sent to germany, to a lab we trust, dirt is removed with light autocorrection (and no, the grain will not be touched), transfer comes to me, I'm doing things by hand that are not fixable with Autoclean, frame by frame. For Malastrana 3,5 weeks, with 8 to 10 hours of work per day. Would normally have been priceless, but i "sacrifice" myself for the art. I personally do not like dirt, that's why I'm removing it. After that, comes the color correction. For Malastrana some more work was done at our German lab, which I could not/did not want to do here. Namely, removing part of the mold, which was removable without using manual retouching. For this part, we freezed frames for static scenes, in which only one person or nothing moves. As a result the grain is frozen of course. The remaining mold stains, I have as best I could, removed by hand, also grain was destroyed during this. Mostly the first frame has been replaced after cut with the third frame of the scene, if the scene was static and the (first) frame was heavily damaged. Moreover, came millions of tiny dust defects, small scratches, etc., which also has not catched by the automatic cleaning. Again, I removed the scratches as best i could. In the end everything was a patchwork of various restoration techniques from which a partially frozen, partially holey etc. grain, plus the remnants of the very fine mold spores, you simply can not clean by hand. All this did not look nice, so we decided to do what we would never do otherwise, and have therefore been never done: Digital grain reduction and afterwards artificial grain reinserted to have homogeneity. The tools for this are professional tools and work very well. What you call as digital mush, is actually analogous mush, because the scenes (focus) are just relatively soft. Since I became a father a week ago and just manage only 10% of my normal daily workload, I just do not feel like to present any evidence - sorry. Maybe in a few days time, but my priority is now changing diapers and trying at the moment, alongside yet to earn a bit of money.
I can't see any other company tackling this one anytime soon (or if they do I can't see them going to the trouble that CO have obviously gone to) so I will more than likely order this one.