View Single Post
Old 11th June 2015, 09:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As I said in reply to another review of '71, Belfast looks terrifying. I've recently watched The Long Good Friday and there's this brilliant exchange between Jeff and Harold about Belfast and the IRA, when Jeff says:
"Jesus Christ, British army's been dying up there with shit flying at them from all angles for the last 10 years, and you're not impressed? They can take over here any time they want!"

It was very controversial at the time and seen as unpatriotic but, just as with the line "Kill 10, 20. Bring out the tanks and the flamethrowers! They pour back, like an army of ants! Work with them.", is simply being realistic.
I think when you see films set in current or recent warzones in the Middle East or Eastern Europe there is this ability to detach. To not necessarily see far beyond the fictional aspects. I find even watching the news (not something o do often) it has a certain distant quality. But Belfast is only a few hundred miles away and its surreal and scary at the same time to think of it so close.