View Single Post
Old 24th October 2009, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

I managed to watch both Norwegian slashers Cold Prey and Cold Prey II:Resurrection last week and enjoyed 'em both.
Especially the sequel which i thought was the better of the two and that doesn't happen often we all know it!

Although these films are pretty much standard stalk 'n slash outings they're still well worth watching imo.

On the downside there are predictable and derivative elements in both CP entries (the likes of My Bloody Valentine, The Shining and Halloween seem to have been an influence here. And there's a scene near the end of the second movie that possibly echoes City Of The Living Dead.). But to be honest i never found these shortcomings insurmountable.

Also, CPII:R joins the ranks of The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue, The Beyond, Halloween II and X-Ray for horror films with either segments or the entire movie set in the most unpopulated hospital you've ever seen.

However, i found both films to be superbly shot (again the sequel scores higher here imo.), briskly paced (CPII:R takes a little while to get going before the blood starts flowing but events never actually get boring.), well acted (female lead Ingrid Bolso Berdal is particularly strong in her role.) with decent characters and a suitably silent, ruthless killer looking like he's wandered off the set of John Carpenter's The Thing remake! I also thought the second CP installment was the gorier movie and i was satisfied with the carnage on display.

G2's U.K. double-bill 2-disc DVD boasts trailers for both CP contributions and also a short subtitled bts featurette on the first film.
The 2.35:1 anamorphic transfers are gloriously pristine and God only knows how good these movies would look on Blu-Ray if the DVD prints are anything to go by! Overall, both CP efforts are pretty visually stylish and the PQ certainly delivers the goods.

HMV currently have the above double dose of Norwegian nastiness for sale at £8 and at this price the British DVD is a purchase well worth the money imo.

If you haven't already guessed, both Cold Prey and Cold Prey II:Resurrection come highly recommended!