View Single Post
Old 20th August 2015, 08:34 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Finished Series 3 of Whitechapel, actually a week or so ago now. It was ok but nothing special, being played out as three two-parters rather than one story. Character arcs seemed to come and go, with characters behaving in some random ways then just carrying in as if nothing happened, as I'd the writers had ideas then abandoned them. Maybe the fourth series will pick up a bit but I'm not rushing to watch it.
I watched that a week or two and meant to write about it here, but completely forgot. I feel pretty much the same as you about it, feeling it benefited from several cases over six episodes, but the characterisation really took a backseat to the crimes, so the pregnancy and birth were introduced and then intermittently introduced when it helped emphasise something, rather than really humanise the characters. Also, the relationship between Morgan Lamb and Chandler in the last two episodes felt rushed and half baked, and should have been given much more screen time and weight. It would have been much better if Lamb was around at the beginning of the series so their relationship could develop over the six episodes rather than just two.

I've recently watched the first series of Friday Night Lights, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and the first season of Durarara!!. Amazon ruined the latter because the first two discs were sent out quickly, but there was a massive gap between discs two and three, then they sent out disc four before disc three. I don't think it's as good as Baccano! which, from memory, felt much grander in scope and with better developed characters.

Next on my list is the second season of True Detective, then Friday Night Lights season two, then the second season of The Strain.