View Single Post
Old 24th August 2015, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

This weekend I watched a few documentary films rather than feature films.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye

A very touching profile of Televangelist couple Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker who prove that the truth is stranger than fiction. I honestly thought as watching it, 'you couldn't write this...'. It starts off simply enough with the back stories of how they met and how they help start christian TV and then get ousted from their own shows only to start a network of their own to be ousted again! Third time lucky they created what turned out to be the largest Christian TV satellite network in the world, however then things start to crumble in a very spectacular way!
Now I'm not a christian, I have no interest in religion at all but I was hooked to this story as it began to unfold and I came out of it a fan of Tammy Faye and felt quite saddened by the outcome.
This comes highly recommended by me but I found it a little difficult to locate as it's OOP on DVD but it's worth a go!

Atari: Game Over

Watching this the morning after Tammy Faye was detrimental to my enjoyment. It was still a highly interesting and engaging documentary about the meteoric rise of Atari and it's spectacular demise after release the infamous ET game cartridge which has been voted the worst game ever by many critics and polls. It follows a guy who is intrigued by the urban myth that 'millions of cartridges' are buried in the Californian desert. Determined to discover the bounty he goes on a quest to uncover the landfill site and find the cartridges.
It includes talking heads with people from Atari, town council members from the place where the landfill is, authors, game designers, and probably most interesting is the man who designed the ET game and it credited with destroying Atari!
This one is on Netflix so it's easy to see if you have 80 mins to spare.

Aside from these 2 I watched 3 of the special feature docs on the Videodrome disc;
David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme
Forging the New Flesh
Fear on Film

All very good but since they total near 90 mins in total, I could have just watched the film itself!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky