View Single Post
Old 27th August 2015, 07:14 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

A great slew of reviews yet again, MTDS. I think when your hand heals I'm going to send someone around to break it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Dead Snow 2
I also disliked the first but actually mildly enjoyed the follow-up for some reason. It's not 'good' by a a long stretch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The Town That Dreaded Sundown. (New one).

Yikes, this is an excellent follow up to the original that takes the concept of meta filmmaking to such an extent that at any given moment I was expecting it to show me sitting on the sofa with my own dvd copies of it and the original!

The film works as a stand alone piece but is greatly enhanced by watching it back to back with the original film as it includes loads of references and clips to the first film and its making.

Filmed in a lighting scheme that adds to the defused reality of the plot, the film is constantly showing the heroine through windows or reflected in mirrors when not closing in on eyeballs.

Another oddity, is that although the film is set in present time, all the lead characters dress in clothes that would have been fashionable in 1976 when the original was made as are the excess of Dutch angles used to show the action.

Depending on your point of view and possible fondness for 'Wes Craven's New Nightmare', 'The Faculty' and 'Detention' this is either a whip smart bit of filmmaking or overly self important bilge. I thought it both and loved it.

Recommended.
Great to hear you enjoyed it, and considering I really enjoy the 3 films you mention in your last paragraph consider it added to my rental list!