View Single Post
Old 17th October 2015, 10:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

After the miserable Halloween 6, we're back to having fun in...

Halloween H20 is not an amazing film by any means (despite a short running time, the middle act does feel dragged out), but it's a fun little film.

Jamie Lee Curtis is excellent again as Laurie Strode (or Keri Tate as she's now known as), and Josh Hartnett reminds me of Harry Enfield's Kevin.

I like Chris Durand as Michael Myers. He manages to imbue personality to Michael Myers. The fantastic moment where Laurie and Michael come face-to-face is a great example.

Steve Miner's direction is also worthy of praise. Although I would never call him one of the greats, I always felt he was somewhat underrated. His rhythm and compositions are without fault.

While I did say that the film does suffer from a dull middle act, it is great whenever Michael Myers comes into the story (the restroom scene - ). An atmospheric opening, and a thrilling finale make Halloween H20 worth the price of entry.

And that ending? Wow! A fitting ending to the series. Well, it would have been except... we'll get to that soon

SPOILER:
I just want to mention the ending again. There's something amazing about how, in such a simple gesture, they manage to inspire sympathy for Michael. He just reaches out to Laurie for help, not like "I've learnt the errors of my ways and I'm sorry" but in that he's not aware of the consequences of his actions. You realise that, mentally, he's never moved beyond his six-year old self. He's bigger, stronger and faster, but he's still just a "child". And I think Laurie realises this and it destroys her when she does what she needs to do. For a slasher sequel, this is a such an impactful ending.