View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Knock Knock

I watched this with a couple of mates, pizza and beer, which is probably appropriate given the calibre of the film! The plot revolves around a middle class, middle aged man (Keanu Reeves) whose wife and kids go away for the weekend, leaving him to his own devices ... that is, until 2 nubile young women turn up on his doorstep, having apparently been dropped off at the wrong address by the taxi (bloody Uber, Russell Brand had it right!!) One thing leads to another and Reeves seems to be having a smashing time until things turn a little sour and the girls aren't quite all they seem.

In truth, this isn't terrible and the plot does keep you guessing (at least for a while anyway) but, given his reputation and sporadic output, I think we have the right to expect more from Eli Roth. The dialogue is clunky to the point of being cringe-inducing, which is particularly damaging since this is actually quite talky and low on action in the first half and as expected, Keanu Reeves is awful. On the positive side, as I said earlier, there are enough twists and turns to keep this relatively interesting and it does at least try to 'say something'. The main 'message', though, is fairly cynical and appears to be that all men, no matter how seemingly loyal and family-orientated, are ultimately sexually weak and corruptible when given the opportunity. The characterisation of the 2 girls seems a bit confused in my view and I wasn't really 100% sure on their motivation or what they were really trying to achieve!

The film has a straight-to-video look and almost plays out like an Odyssey daytime TV Movie in parts!! Having said all this, though, this is actually quite good fun and it is especially gratifying to watch Mr Reeves trying to do things like convey emotion, especially with some of the aforementioned awful dialogue, I just expected a bit more. 5/10