Thread: Cushing VS Lee
View Single Post
Old 5th November 2009, 01:13 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm sure in the past he's been happy to discuss Hammer and Dracula, but not so much these days.

http://www.getreadytorock.com/featur...topher_lee.htm

From that interview:

Quote:
After a couple of songs cut short by technical difficulties he answered a few questions from the floor (refusing to talk about Hammer Horror, dismissing it as so long in the past, apparently Scaramanger was the name of someone Ian Fleming (Lee's cousin) disliked at college so wrote him in as the bad guy in James Bond) before affording a more private interview.
I've also seen him in recent interviews and featurettes where he's very unwilling to talk about playing Dracula and talks about Hammer very negatively.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think he's a national treasure and I admire him immensely - partcularly, dare I say it, his portrayal of Dracula. He's a fine actor and I love his body of work, so no disrespect is meant in the slightest. However, like I said, it does irk me a bit his disparaging comments about Hammer - particularly his claims about Hammer virtually blackmailing him into appearing in some of the later Dracula movies.