View Single Post
Old 14th December 2015, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

So I actually watched some films this weekend, and still nothing Christmassy - ugh, I even got Sint out and ready but never felt like it.

Dragon Inn (1967)

Great little action film where not a great deal happens, it's strengths for me lie in the quiet little scenes such as the 2 separate occasions where the wine was poisoned. I found it to be much like a Sergio Leone western but set in feudal China rather than the 'wild west'. Lots of great set pieces and action packed fights, no wire work which I felt odd but then after watching the video essay I found that wire work wasn't used at this point in wuxia films and they in fact used a trampoline which made it more impressive. Enjoyable, looking forward to A Touch of Zen.

Harold and Maude (1971)

Pitch black comedy, it's a classic and certainly ahead of it's time for 1971. Ruth Gordon as Maude is awesome and she's so beautiful and vivacious that it's not hard to believe that Harold could fall in love with her. There are too many stand out parts to name them but I particularly loved when Harold souped up his brand new Jaguar to look like a hearse after his mum sold his old one The ending was not what I expected - there should be a warning about that haha but I wont spoil for those who have not seen.

Say Anything... (1989)

Cameron Crowe's debut, and it's clear that the guy is a gifted director. Great performances from Cusack and Skye and the ever talented John Mahoney turns out a great Dad. Soundtrack is on point, the dialogue is on point and the story is gut wrenchingly real rather than heading into schmaltzy teen movie territory. Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. It's got me in the mood for watching the best Crowe movie of them all, Almost Famous.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky