View Single Post
Old 24th February 2016, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The premonition

The final film in the American Horror project is a more restrained and sedate affair that feels like a hybrid of daytime soap opera plot fused with Carrie. A woman who gave her child up for adoption gets out of the bug house and hooks up with a clown, played by genre legend Richard Lynch in a terrific performance. The pair decide to form a nuclear family unit so decide to abduct the child from her adoptive family and head off into the woods. It doesn't help that the pair might have some level of psychic powers as they assail the adoptive mother with terrifying psychic visions.
The premonition is an entertaining horror that focuses on character driven drama than blood & guts. In that way it plays more like a great TV horror of the kind that used to be made in the 70's. I suspect some of the modern horror audience might be put off but I liked it.
I have this to look forward to tonight all being well.

I watched a double-bill of Malatesta's Carnival of Blood and The Witch Who Came from the Sea last night. Witch I've had on DVD for years courtesy of Subversive Cinema but it was great to revisit it again in HD. Malatesta I had never seen before but had wanted to for a while after reading some interesting things about it so I was really eager to check it out (the main reason why I cracked open my set last night really). It didn't disappoint, and its wonky madness was comfortably infecting. A good analogy would be if Tobe Hooper were to have dropped acid and made The Funhouse eight years earlier with some money he found in his sock drawer... then it may very well have been as insane, seedy and nightmarishly good as Malatesta was.