View Single Post
Old 25th March 2016, 09:25 AM
Cult Addict

The Man From Uncle.

Guy Ritchies update of the sixties spy show. Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer star as secret agents working on opposite sides of the Iron Curtain, Cavill as American spy Napoleon Solo a retired art thief recruited by the CIA to better make use of his exceptional skills. Hammer is Illya Kuryakin a KGB agent possessed of almost superhuman abilities when the plot suits.
Something to do with a nuclear scientist and some nefarious Euro-villains means these two are partnered up to fight for the greater good. Thats about as much as i got from the plot if you can call it a plot. The film is too preoccupied with trying to be cool and stylish and funny to really present the storyline very well at all. Armie Hammer attributes himself well to Illya even if the accent slips now and then, Cavill on the other hand looks bored.
Where the film should shine it falls flat with big action sequences presented in comic panel interludes so Guy Ritchie can spend another 10 minutes playing old Italian opera music while another attempt at cool falls flat on its arse. All in all maybe worth a watch but i won't be wasting another 2 hours on it. Glad i borrowed rather than bought.