View Single Post
Old 27th March 2016, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hansel and Gretel get Baked (2013)

'Don't touch my gingerbread house'

A couple of stoner youths, the unfortunately named Hansel and Gretel, finally discover who produces the almost mythical Black Forest cake. An harmless old woman who lives down the road and grows weed in her basement. Determined to score some, they pay the old woman a visit.

Grimm Tales as the film is titled in the UK is an oddball tale that doesn't take itself seriously. It's well made and reasonably well acted by the younger stars as well as Yancy Butler and Cary Elwes in a cameo. However it's Lara Flynn Boyle's film. I like Lara, she's bonkers, she was in the series Las Vegas (check out her demise) and she is in this. She plays the old woman who might well be a witch. Well, no, she is a witch who eats her victims cooked or raw, it doesn't really matter. Why? Well she's getting on a bit and her looks have gone, discovering human flesh is a way of replenishing herself she kidnaps and eats all the dopers who call round looking for that glorious Black Forest high.

The film is a bit of fun but i suspect you have to be in the mood for it. It's very gory in places as Boyle has no problem sticking forks in eye sockets and removing the eyeball for a tasty treat. At 85 mins it doesn't stick around too long and in truth it isn't as funny as it wants to be and plays better as a straight up horror.

Not for all, but fans of Evil Bong, Gingerdead Man and Charlie Band's general schlocky output should enjoy it.