Old 3rd April 2016, 08:34 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bridge of Spies (2015)
Mark Rylance is magnificent as Rudolf Abel, quietly overshadowing Tom Hanks in every scene in which they both appear and the ending carries a real emotional punch. I didn't know it before I saw the film, so was surprised to see the screenplay was (along with Matt Charman) written by Joel and Ethan Coen – it's very atypical piece of work for them, but still has the quality you'd expect from such talented wordsmiths.

This is from Wikipedia:

Matt Charman became interested in Donovan's story after reading a footnote about him in An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy, 1917–1963. After meeting with Donovan's son in New York City, Charman pitched the story to several studios and DreamWorks bought it. Studio co-founder Steven Spielberg became interested in the film and decided to direct. Marc Platt and Kristie Macosko Krieger attached themselves as producers along with Spielberg. Joel Coen and Ethan Coen revised Matt Charman's original script. According to Charman, the brothers "were able to really punch up the negotiations on the back end of the movie, then they handed the baton back to me to do a pass after they did their pass, to make the movie just sit in a place we all wanted it to. The flavor they brought is so fun and enjoyable. It needed to be entertaining but truthful."
Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
1941 & et!
E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial is a brilliant film but, and I'm not sure how, I've never seen 1941.