View Single Post
Old 9th April 2016, 08:19 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The monkey sequence has not been censored this time around.

There are cuts to the following:

The cockfight
The snake that is cut open and bled onto the body of Me Me Lai
The cobra vs. mongoose fight
The crocodile which is skinned alive

We tried to argue the cockfight as this horrible bloodsport is, unfortunately, perfectly legal in parts of Thailand such as Chiang Mai. We really didn't see any issue given that Lenzi was shooting the sort of thing that happens legally. Alas the BBFC, who are as hypocritical as it gets said no (they still haven't told me how kicking around a piglet or tying a monkey to a pole and running around with it, before striking it twice across the head to kill it, are not cruelty. And don't get me started with the pulling of a large turtle out of its habitat in Cannibal Holocaust, including knocking it across the head in the process - look at that scene again if you doubt me).

Either way, the new cuts don't disrupt the film - and the 88 Films edition is far superior to anything Raro will be putting out. We have a brand new 80 minute documentary on the life of Me Me Lai, which could just as easily have been a standalone documentary and feature contributions from the lady herself, Eli Roth, Ruggero Deodato and others. We have a new piece with Eli Roth talking about the Italian cannibal boom, an extensive interview with Lenzi himself and a commentary track done by yours truly.

As an aside, my new (academic) book on Cannibal Holocaust is now available for pre-order on Amazon. It will, I hope, be of interest to anyone who wants to a read more scholarly and formalist approach to this movie...

Cannibal Holocaust (Devil's Advocates): Amazon.co.uk: Calum Waddell: 9781911325116: Books
But calum for us who want uncut version raro is best