View Single Post
Old 16th November 2009, 04:50 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
42street, you hit the nail on the head with your description of it being a powerful film. I don't have to have seen it to know that. I don't think any film still causes so many arguments so long after it's release! That is why, particularly as a fan of horror, it has always been a problem for me. Part of me wants to see the (fake) gore (what horror fan wouldn't want to see the effects that were so gruesome, that some people actually believed it was real), yet the rest of me says "No!!! They killed animals to make this!!". And it's why, years later, I still haven't seen it. I don't find myself stuck in a quandary over the movie (ie : should I, shouldn't I?), I know period, that I'm unlikely to change my views on watching Holocaust. But I cannot deny that it holds a strange curiosity to me. But thats more down to it's infamy, not me just being a sick puppy. Hence my mention of seeing a 'animal cruelty free' version. And on hindsight, I totally appreciate how hypocritical that does sound.

It's a tough one my friend.
If you never see it...I applaud your stance.

I can see, honestly, the appeal of the 'cruelty free' version And I know why it exists. But I can;t get passed the fact that if a truly cared that much then I would not support the film.
And I did just that. Until one day I decided that, yes, I actually no longer cared that much.

It took me (seeing as I was into more extreme horror from about 16) about 16 years to finally see the film.
Purely because I heard if the real animal deaths.

Sadly I can't think of one 'Jungle' based Cannibal film (bar the shockingly terrible "Cannibals" and "Cannibal Terror" which you never want to see any way, trust me) that does not have animal deaths in it.
Even something like "Eaten Alive", which does not have its OWN animal deaths, uses footage of animal deaths from other films.

If you want a good, Euro, cannibal film without animal snuff i'd try the urban based "Cannibal Apocalypse". And hell, I just remembered even that really burns rats!