View Single Post
Old 1st July 2016, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Quiet Ones (2014)

With some trepidation thanks to some less than enthusiastic comments on here, i decided to watch the only Hammer horror film i'd never seen.

Set in 1975, it's Loosely based on the Philip experiment, a 1972 parapsychology experiment conducted in Toronto and starring the always watchable Jared Harris, this actually started out okay as tests are carried out at an isolated mansion on Jane Harper (Nice to see Bates Motel's Olivia Cooke wandering round without the oxygen tank), a young girl who appears to be possessed.

So far so good but the film never attempts anything out of the ordinary, it remains watchable throughout but unfortunately never comes across as cutting edge, creepy or worst of all scary. I can't fault the acting, production values or anything behind the scenes, just the script, whilst interesting at times and held together by the acting i just can't overemphasize this enough, it just isn't scary or chilling nor really seem like you are watching a horror film.

It's hard to dismiss completely a film that has Slade on repeat play during the first forty minutes but in all honesty that's as memorable as The Quiet Ones gets. Still it's far more interesting than Vengeance of She (1968) and nowhere near as bad as The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (2014).