View Single Post
Old 10th July 2016, 03:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Cub (2014)

I much prefer this Belgian films original title of Welp. It sounds far more comical yet oddly sinister at the same time which actually describes the film better. The tale of a group of cub scouts or welp's who go into the woods on a camping trip. It's not all fun for young Sam though whose picked on by the rest of the group. It's when Sam hears the campfire tale of the legend of Kai, a feral boy creature that haunts the woods, that things take a turn for the sinister.

Seeing as i love outdoor / backwoods horror this was always going to be a hit with me. Cub isn't heavy on the gore or any exploitative elements in particular, seemingly focusing on characters until the final half hour when it explodes in violence and weirdness. The buried bus complete with passengers was extremely creepy.

Sure there are flaws and one line where a cub leader casually insults a couple of French youths would see a British person hounded on Twitter for racist abuse for all eternity had they uttered it, however overlook them and Cub is a satisfying horror film with a seriously brilliant poster.