View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2016, 05:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Although he didn't direct the film this remake of a 1973 tv movie bares all the hall marks of producer / script writer Guillermo del Toro. From it's atmospheric opening and it's creepy mansion with foreboding grounds all decked out in gorgeous Autumnal colours it's unmistakably del Toro...or Tim Burton.

The story is a familiar tale of an architect (Guy Pearce) moving into a new old house with his girlfriend (Katie Holmes) and young daughter ( Bailee Madison) a house they are restoring. It's not long before odd things happen to the daughter and there seems to be something living in the basement putting everyone in danger.

The film has a mix of tension, playfulness, and sudden shocks, somewhat akin to 1987's Dolls and the whole thing has a lovely Gothic fairy tale horror feel to it even with the reveal of what resides in the basement. However the final outcome is rather downbeat and decidedly darker and scarier than what precedes it.

I don't know how this was received on release but i have to say i was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_yZlKw02AuEJQ4oOFC3kUjFxqiUj.jpg (73.7 KB, 4 views)