View Single Post
Old 26th August 2016, 08:40 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Puzzle of the Red Orchid (1962)

German Krimi based on the crime novels by British author Edgar Wallace. The Puzzle of the Red Orchid, or Secret of the Red Orchid as it's known Stateside stars Christopher Lee as an FBI agent sent to London to stop two rival Chicago gangs extorting money from the English wealthy.

I have no idea if this was supposed to be a serious film but due to the dubbing it plays as a comedy crime thriller. Why Christopher Lee is playing an American i'll never know, but why dub his voice? He sounds daft, as does whoever dubbed co-star Adrian Hoven (playing a Scotland Yard detective) making him sound like a character from a Harry Enfield sketch such is the primness of his Queen's English. I won't even go into how awful Klaus Kinski sounds. Marisa Mell comes off slightly better sounding a little like Stephanie Beacham. In fact an early starring role for Mell is the prime reason for seeing this film.

As far as crime thrillers go, The Puzzle of the Red Orchid isn't particularly thrilling, although a six gun toting Christopher Lee is amusing, and a few nicely staged shoot outs maintain the interest, just. Sadly though it's impossible to suggest anything else except The Puzzle of the Red Orchid is a film ruined by dreadful dubbing.