View Single Post
Old 30th August 2016, 12:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This has proved to be quite a challenge, so some of these films aren't overtly about Phobia, nor explicitly about Isolation (I'll try and explain why they are though). I did have five more, but thought I had cheated with 15 (or two different lists) too often, so have omitted films I would have loved to include. Anyway, this is my list in no particular order.

Vertigo – perhaps this goes without saying as the main character suffers with chronic agoraphobia so, although the film is not necessarily about Scotty's phobia, it is a crucial plot element.

Taxi Driver – not isolation in its classic sense, this film revolves around 'God's lonely man' and is perhaps the finest illustration of social isolation ever committed to celluloid.

The Aviator – a rare film Which Combines elements of phobia and isolation as Howard Hughes' germophobia leads to isolation. The film isn't necessarily about this, but it was a famous part of Howard Hughes' life.

Silent Running – a man isolated in space and lonely to the point where he teaches three robots to play cards!

2001: A Space Odyssey – the other side of the coin to Silent Running, this is another film in space in which the central character becomes isolated with artificial intelligence the company, albeit with very different results.

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory – some may see this as a stretch, but isn't Willy Wonka a recluse, isolated through paranoia?

The Shining – take a recovering alcoholic and his wife and son and isolate them in a hotel which is completely cut off from the rest of the world. What could go wrong?

Repulsion – a film in which the central character, like some of the others, suffers a complete mental breakdown and isolates herself with tragic consequences.

Three Colours: Blue – following the deaths of her husband and daughter in a car crash, Julie attempts suicide but survives and tries to move on with her life by isolating herself by moving to Paris and attempting to live anonymously and alone only to be confronted by memories from her past.

Moon – like Silent Running and 2001: A Space Odyssey, this is a brilliant exploration of what could happen when someone is isolated with artificial intelligence for companionship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001 A Space Odyssey.jpg (49.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg aviator.jpg (36.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg moon.jpg (41.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Repulsion.jpg (43.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Silent Running.jpg (59.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg taxi driver.jpg (40.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg The Shining.jpg (39.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg three colours blue.jpg (31.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vertigo.jpg (53.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.jpg (46.4 KB, 4 views)