View Single Post
Old 1st September 2016, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Big Sleep (1946)

The Big Sleep (1946)

It’s hard for me to decide which is my favourite Bogart movie, it’s even harder still trying to decide which of the two films, The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon (1941) I think is the better. In fact, its darned impossible both are well made and both have great stories, and both of course have Bogart at his peak. Bogarts Philip Marlowe, is fast talking quick witted and most of all very mischievous, when he goes to get information from Geiger’s Rare bookshop, he effects a mildly camp and geekish persona which shows that Bogart could do comedy just as easily as he could punch out a bad guy. He also does a rather nice double take when his DEA friend Bernie jokingly accuses him of killing the chauffeur, who they have just fished out of the docks. There is so many great little ticks and mannerisms from Bogart throughout the movie, and some nice little moments littered throughout also. When Bacall goes to see Marlowe she perches on the edge of his desk, trying not to scratch her knee, until Marlowe notice’s her discomfort and casual says “go ahead and scratch” it is a nice moment that shows that there is some great chemistry going on between the two of them. In fact, the pair look so good on the screen together and act really well with each other it is no surprise they would romantically involve with each other off screen. Mind you Marlowe does a lot of flirting in this film, book assistant across the road from Geiger shop, the female taxi cab driver and also fending off the affections of Bacall screen sister. I very much doubt whether I can choose between this film of The Maltese Falcon seeing as there both pretty perfect, one thing you tend to notice more now than ever is that boy did people smoke a lot back then.