View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nicholas and Alexandra (1971)

A huge British production with a terrific cast who superbly play it throughout. Michael Jayston and Janet Suzman are excellent as the Tsar and his wife with performances that take you away from the savage political and social unrest they caused, ending with the Russian revolution and their abdication and imprisonment in Siberia, making the viewer feel sympathy for them even though they clearly had it coming.

There's so much historical matter here that a mere three hours doesn't do it justice and there are one or two inaccuracies (I did early 20th century Russian history and the rise of Stalin as a ten week GCSE evening course in my early twenties) which i suppose is inevitable when it comes to these things.

As for interest to Cult Labs members, Tom Baker is quite brilliant as Rasputin with his drinking, shagging and everything you'd expect a devout monk to indulge in. I'd almost say he nailed the role even better than the late, great Christopher Lee did in Hammer's 1966 film. Also look out for an uncredited Robin Askwith who shoots someone in the head.

Whilst not Cult Labs material by any stretch of the imagination Nicholas and Alexandra is a good film that should appeal to anyone who enjoyed the BBC's recent adaptation of War and Peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nicol_s_y_Alejandra-849235841-large.jpg (92.9 KB, 4 views)