View Single Post
Old 5th September 2016, 09:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman (1993)

When an abused heiress grows to giant size because of her encounter with aliens, she decides to get revenge on her cheating husband and those who did her wrong.

Shockingly i have yet to see the original 1958 film this HBO production is a remake of. However i actually quite enjoyed this. After a fairly slow opening fifty minutes which is only kept watchable by the performances of star Daryl Hannah and Daniel Baldwin hamming it up as her straying husband it all sort of clicks into gear when Hannah grows to epic proportions, well 50 ft anyway.

It's sort of endearing to watch her stomp about a model town in some sequences tearing roofs off buildings and causing general chaos in her sexy bikini / dress. Unfortunately the main problem with this film, directed by Christopher Guest (This is Spinal Tap), is there just ain't enough of it amid a script that throws in a feminist angle before cheap thrills and kitsch fun.

Still it's quite amusing, even if HBO have to throw in a few 'F' words because, well, they're HBO, and a bit of camp fun.

The UK dvd i got from Poundland has a great picture quality and cool animated menu screens.
I was bored senseless with this one (wasn't naff looking enough to be "fun" nor was it well-produced enough to be great) but there was one quote I chuckled at.

When she tries seducing her husband at her large size, he dryly responds with "How do you figure I do that? Don a wetsuit and a lightstick?"