Old 9th September 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I have seen 'Donnie Darko'
I have seen 'Donnie Darko' with the commentary by Writer/director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal
I have seen 'Donnie Darko' with the commentary by the Writer/director, the producer and the cast
I have seen 'Donnie Darko: Directors Cut'
I have seen 'Donnie Darko: Directors Cut' with the commentary by Screenwriter/director Richard Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith
...and I still have no idea what it is all about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think you need to watch it again.
Alternatively, there is a very basic explanation. Apart from the beginning and end, everything takes place in an alternate (or tangent) universe, which is linked to the real/first universe through the portals. After witnessing what happens in the 28 days, Donnie sends a jet engine into the past to kill him, expose a paedophile, and basically make many people's lives better.

It is all explained in Roberta Sparrow's book, which features more heavily in the longer version, and there are certain scenes which seem to illustrate that Donnie is caught in a time loop (think Groundhog Day, but over a 28 day period), hence the discussion about destruction leading to creation, burning the money being meaningless. Also, the line "every living creature dies alone" carries more meaning when you consider what happens to Donnie, especially as he did it himself.