View Single Post
Old 16th September 2016, 09:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hang on a minute and colour me confused. Universal Soldier has a sequel starring Van Damme, in fact three sequels and Dolph's also in parts three and four as well. There's The Return, Regeneration and Day of Reckoning.
You're right. Here's The Return...

Universal Soldier: The Return

Directed by Mic Rogers
Written by William Malone and John Fasano

Seven years after the events of the first film, Luc Deveraux (Van Damme returning) sells out and now helps the US Government in running the programme. Assisting in making sure nothing goes wrong, a super computer called SETH (Michael Jai White) controls all the UniSols. However, when a bastard politician decides to shut down the programme (some shite about runaway costs and ethics), SETH rebels and leads his army against the government. Only former slave Deveraux stands between the UniSols and their revolution.

A turgid sequel that destroys whatever little character the original film retained. I really don’t want to talk too much about this one as it is the worst film I’ve seen in a while. The visuals are crap. The nu-metal soundtrack is irritating as hell. Van Damme is confused. Jai White gives it his best shot. Bill Goldberg hams it up as a poor Lundgren replacement. And Xander Berkeley was probably crying between takes.

Despite director Rogers background in stuntwork, the action is limp. The explosions are probably big, but Rogers just can’t let his camera settle. Even the editing is abysmal as it keeps up with the poo-metal soundtrack.

Seriously, avoid this one. If it’s on the television, stop paying your licence fee. If you know a friend that has it in their collection, unfriend them immediately. If you see a shop stocking it, burn the place down. Anything, just to avoid the slight chance that you may accidentally see it.