View Single Post
Old 20th September 2016, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You make a good point here.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I see The Thing, The Fly and Re-Animator as horror rather than sci-fi anyway. They are all horror films with science fiction elements whereas say Scanners and Videodrome are science fiction with horror elements.

So just because you won't see The Thing in my top ten and you will see Starman perhaps is due to these reasons.

The way i look at it with you B_E is where do you shelve your Thing blu? Sci-fi or horror?

Knowing you it will be under Carpenter or the letter 'T'.
Exactly - which is great in a lot of ways as even though you may sometimes disagree with people's list choices it makes for some good variety to see how individuals classify certain films when these topics are announced.

I've always detested rigid genre classification and am very flexible in terms of how I classify films, especially horror as I see so many facets within the genre.

To use your examples above, I would have no qualms putting The Thing, The Fly or Re-Animator in a horror or sci-fi list as each film exhibits large doses of both genres.

As for your question regarding The Thing, my old DVD used to be classified under the letter 'T' when I used to arrange my collection alphabetically, but now the Blu lies under 'U' for Universal as I arrange my Blu collection alphabetically by distributor.

I could never arrange by genre as too many films have too much cross-over and would be a nightmare to organise.