View Single Post
Old 10th October 2016, 10:53 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Last Horror Film (1982)

I've never been able to decide if this Maniac lite film is dreary dross or too clever and knowing for it's own good. Filmed on location at the 1982 Cannes film festival, although not officially, much of it plays like a movie spotters dream, with posters and references galore, however the adhoc filming becomes a little dull, i mean there's only so many times you can show what is the equivalent of stock footage and it becomes extremely repetitive.

As a horror film it's virtually non-existent, the film within a film makes suspense redundant and the single stalk and slash sequence ends up being a joke as the largely excellent Joe Spinell chases Caroline Munro about a hotel until she runs through a large crowd of people in the lobby cheering her and out onto the Cannes streets. Munro of course looks gorgeous even sporting an odd blonde streak in her hair but even after all these years i still can't decide if she can actually act but i'll give her the benefit of the doubt as she's lovely to sit down and chat with.

My overall feeling with The Last Horror Film is that it's far too clever for it's own good and has ideas which don't quite come off, to the detriment of it's horror aesthetics.