View Single Post
Old 24th October 2016, 09:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Ninth Gate

Corso (Johnny Depp), a book detective of sorts, is hired by a wealthy book collector (Frank Langella) to research the authenticity of his latest purchase, a 17th century occult book, "The Nine Gates" by Aristide Torchia. It seems like a simple enough job but when bodies start piling up, Corso starts to wonder if there is any truth to Torchia’s alleged co-writer…

Following Demdike's advice, I gave this a rewatch (my first since 2002) and I’m glad I did. I remember enjoying this at the time I saw it but I recalled it being a minor Polanski work. I’m delighted to say that, based on this new viewing, The Ninth Gate may well be Polanski’s most underrated film.

There is a real genius to The Ninth Gate in how it gets under your skin, especially considering how there’s very little outright horror in the film. Indeed, most of the film plays like a Euro-thriller/caper and Depp’s punching-bag performance gives the proceedings a comedic edge. But it’s in Polanski’s use of framing and editing that he creates a genuine unease. For example, in the early scenes with Depp and Langella, and in spite of the 2.35:1 scope, Polanski films Langella just behind Depp and slightly out of frame. The feeling is one of suffocation – that there is always somebody out of eyeshot pulling the shots. This paranoia is one that never truly lets up.

This is the horror of The Ninth Gate. Polanski doesn’t scare us immediately by having creepy ghosts pop up on screen. Instead, Polanski brings us along for the journey as he slowly reveals the origins behind the book. Much like Depp’s character, by this point, it is too late to turn back. The true intent of the book is terrifying, but not knowing what that intent is, is perhaps more terrifying.

The film is aided by Depp’s great performance. Reports have stated that neither Polanski and Depp were fully satisfied with the performance, but I consider it to be one of his better roles. Of course, his descent into obsession is supported by a great supporting cast. Emmanuelle Seigner and Lena Olin are mysterious, dangerous and sexually enticing, while Langella definitely conveys the aura of a man you do not refuse.

I really enjoyed The Ninth Gate. It is filled with fantastic imagery (a certain sex scene manages to be erotic and terrifying at the same time) and a cracking score. And a wheelchair that will haunt me for life.

Highly recommended!