View Single Post
Old 1st November 2016, 06:54 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
They always vary in quality but, if you get a good one, it can be fascinating and give you some remarkable insights into the film you have seen. The one on Crimson Peak, for example, is something I could listen to another couple of times because Guillermo Del Toro is such an effusive and illuminating speaker who gives a great deal of information about his films (and, in the case of The Strain, his TV show) – that one is well worth listening to.
I've no doubt there are some superb commentaries out there (one of the best I've listened too was Ferrara's legendary Driller Killer comm teehee), however, for me, I think it's a mixture of having time (I'd rather be using the time watching an actual film than a yap track), not necessarily being interested in how the idea for such a scene or character came to fruition; whether it be based on the director's high-school gym teacher or the local mailman, plus partly also because I generally like to feel connected to a film on a personal and emotional level based on my own inferences and feelings rather than breaking it down into critique-able chunks and knowing for 100% why a director decided to shoot a scene in a specific way.

If there's anything specific I want to know about a film I tend to use the plentiful vastness of the world wide web to find out, or a book, but to be honest that rarely happens other than the odd "hey, I'm sure I've seen that actor before, I wonder what else they've been in" or "I love this score and need to find out who did it and whether I can buy it".

Different strokes and all that though.