View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Not at all, feelings doesn't do it justice. As the definition I quoted mentioned, 'cannot be adequately explained'. I've yet to read any kind of writing on Bava's Black Sunday, for example, that can perfectly convey how I feel watching it. And I quite like that, Dem might find it lazy, you might see it as an inability or unwillingness, to me it's something very special. I'd almost be disappointed if someone could articulate it. I actually feel a little sad if that's something neither of you have experienced, which sounds like the case from your reactions.
I have always been able to articulate what has happened to me when watching, hearing, or otherwise 'experiencing' things from concerts to films, music albums to TV shows. I have been tearful, aghast, pained with laughter, infuriated, frustrated, insulted, sickened, and various other reactions have been elicited, but I have never been unable to describe them using free existing words.

In my experience, the need to invent new words is something which a dictionary and thesaurus can easily solve. For instance, I have used the word 'meh' (a relatively new word invented – I think – by The Simpsons) on here to describe films, but that is only shorthand for impassive, ambivalent, mediocre, disinterested or completely lacking in emotional/intellectual engagement.