View Single Post
Old 20th November 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Maximum Conviction (2012)

From IMDB - When former black ops operative Cross (Steven Seagal) and his partner Manning (Steve Austin) are assigned to decommission an old prison, they must oversee the arrival of two mysterious female prisoners. Before long, an elite force of mercenaries assault the prison in search of the new arrivals. As the true identities of the women are revealed, Cross realizes he's caught in the middle of something far bigger than he had imagined.

Yes Maximum Conviction is a team up of action superstar Steven Seagal and Wrestler / actor 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin. Not quite The Expendables but Keoni Waxman's film will entertain action fans.

As with many of these direct to dvd features Seagal stars in, the plot is or at least seems so convoluted, in fact for twenty minutes i really wasn't sure if i'd even get to the end of it. The good news is it soon becomes a game of hunters and hunted in an old fashioned action movie style as the two Steve's work side by side to rid the huge prison of what seems like a whole battalion of mercenaries, bullet by bullet, fist by fist. Thankfully this is one of the films where Seagal actually bothers to show up for more than five minutes and we don't have body doubles for anything but close ups nor do we have a dubbed Seagal. To the uninitiated these may seem odd features of a film but with Steven Seagal they are usually the difference between a good film and a dire one.

Thankfully Maximum Conviction turns out to be a lot of fun. Seagal has a couple of hand to hand fights (I love his style, he's never the aggressor, but uses the person's body weight and momentum to his own advantage), whilst Austin causes general mayhem in a likable way.

Maximum Conviction isn't a film that will win either star any new fans but it is a reminder that Seagal can still make decent action films which are just as entertaining as anything the studios put into cinemas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaximumConviction_DVD_2Dweb-460x650.jpg (59.4 KB, 6 views)