View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Doctor Strange.

Just got back from Marvel Studios latest.
The story of a brilliant but egotistical neurosurgeon who loses the use of his hands in a car accident. After exhausting the possibilities of traditional medicine he heads to the far
east in search of help through spiritual enlightenment. In the process Dr Stephen Strange learns that the reality he perceives is but the tip of the iceberg and that there are worlds beyond ours and threats to humanity that he could never imagine and thus finds his true calling. Of the Marvel films this is by far the silliest, I can't say I didn't enjoy it but it is a bit....well strange😊.
Benedict Cumberbatch plays the title character and given how much I love his turn as Sherlock I was rather underwhelmed with his performance. Not sure if it was him or what the film/script required of him but his accent definitely didn't help and he came across as nowhere near arrogant and big-headed enough in the first place for the transition to seem all that great. Marvel did an animated movie that is significantly shorter than this and yet somehow seemed to feel more accomplished in its plotting. Mentions have been made of the Matrix like effects with characters seemingly floating and flying about the place a bit too much, I'd say the problem was more the kaleidoscopic scenery effects. Imagine the city folding effect from Christopher Nolans Inception on speed. Rooms, walls, cityscapes just endlessly folding in on each other and turning inside and such until it's just impossible to work out what the devil is going on. Tilda Swinton was good as Dr.Strange's mentor known only as 'The Ancient One' and Chewitel Ejiofor provides able support as fellow sorceror Modor.
So worth watching but certainly cheesier and sillier than the other Marvel movies.