View Single Post
Old 18th January 2017, 02:48 PM
Cult Addict

Right then let's get this done.
In no particular order.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that's included this and considers it a comedy horror (albeit of the blackest variety). When I first watched this 20 odd years ago I laughed myself silly, the dinner table seen alone is like something out of Monty Python as the 'family' all try encouraging poor old grandpa to bash Sally's brains in with a hammer while the guy can barely grasp the hammer. I've seen it many times since and while now I can see it as more than a laughfest I think the fact such dark matter can induce chuckles says a lot about us as an audience and is what makes this Tobe Hoopers masterpiece.

Evil Dead II
Any of the trilogy can i reckon be considered a comedy horror but I think part 2 fits the bill best being the one to straddle both genres perfectly. The original is my favourite of the films but is too pure a horror to put on this list. And Army of Darkness has too little horror being more of a fantasy adventure.

Severance.
British brilliance from Christopher Smith and by far the best thing Danny Dire has ever done.

Dog Soldiers.
"Sausages...!" Enough said.

Theatre of Blood.
Vincent Price at his best.

An American Werewolf In London.
Dark, scary, tragic but there are laughs here. Maybe not big belly laughs but they're still here.

Shaun of the Dead.
The best of the so called Cornetto trilogy and still has the best use of a Queen track ever in a film.

Zombie Holocaust.
This one is possibly the only one on my list that I don't think was really intended to be comedy. But it's funny as hell so tough.

Deranged.
Similar to TCM in its pitch black sense of humour.

The Old Dark House.
Charles Laughton cheerfully applauding roast beef just makes me chuckle.