View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Godzilla. No, not the shit Mathew Broderick one (although i admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine - not as much as Street Fighter mind. That's an A1 bone fide guilty pleasure that makes the 1998 Godzilla look like Citizen Kane), but the slightly less shit Gareth Edwards one. That's a bit unfair maybe, as it has some great shots in it and it's an otherwise decent movie, but it has problems, especially for a monster movie and super especially for a Godzilla movie. That stuff comes with expectations.

So, other than being a generally visually disarming movie with a decent amount of emotional heart-string tugging before we get to the action (did i mention you don't get to see Godzilla for nearly an hour? No, well that's problem number 1), for me it is hamstrung by several factors.

2) I already did 1 up there, pay attention. Dark, dark, dark. Presumably money saving on effects, perhaps a misguided attempt at atmosphere. We want to see the monsters properly!

3) Even the bits we see are largely from our tiny human perspective - in the dark. So, we get some Godzilla and MUTO action (finally! but in the dark...) but as it's from a midgets view, as soon as they enter a building, or whatever, the monster action goes!

As you can tell, it annoys me a bit. It's a decent film that leaves me unfulfilled on the monster fighting front. I remember back when District 9 came out, i was amazed that they'd basically made a 'monster movie' (ok, aliens, but they look monstery) that was totally in daylight! We saw the buggers and that was a pretty low budget film!

More daylight in these films please.